Tuesday 9 June 2009

Busy times and new opportunities!

I´ve really been busy these last weeks! My parents visited us last week, which was really nice. I had such a great time with my mother, she is a creative mind too and we made jewellery together, went shopping and chatted a lot. And she ironed all the clothes and linen that had piled up for weeks in my laundry basket.... Here´s a picture of us, doesn´t she look gorgeous? She is 66 years old, who would believe that! Hope I have inherited her good genes!!


I´ve been stressing around a bit, I have to deliver my work for the first exhibition on friday, I open my own summershop in the train carriage the 1. of july (and the carriage still has to be cleaned, some of the furniture I use for displaying my work has to be painted and there are some reparations to be done on the boards of the carriage) and then there is also the exhibition at my friend Tracys gallery....

Anyway, I managed to finish two re-vamped vintage slips and made a couple of headbands using some of my vintage millinery flowers.


I even found the time for a little brocante tour last saturday. Here are some pictures from the first place we visited, an old farmhouse that used to be a pub in a tiny cosy village - so typical Danish!



They had mostly old china, glassware and silverware, but I managed to find these beautiful old tins and the funny small forks.



We decided to have a cup of tea in Ebeltoft, a small town nearby, and popped around another antique store. As you maybe can see in the picture, it´s quite a shabby venue, but packed with all kinds of vintage stuff.


I rummaged through a basket full of all kinds of small items and found these nice old pearlnecklaces, beads and jewellery findings. Great stash to re-use in my work!


After that we went to the café, and on the way I discovered that in one of the old warehouses someone had opened a combined studio and vintage clothing shop. Of course I had to check it out, and I found a nice black dress from the 50ies, quite hard to find in bigger sizes so I am really enthusiastic about my find!! The owner, who is a painter, actually recognized me, she had been at my summershop. We started to chat and she asked if I was interested in doing a vintage fashion show with her at the local festival the last weekend in July and I said I was indeed! We agreed we would show both vintage dresses, my re-vamped vintage slips and tops and my handcrafted textile jewellery. Quite exciting, I´ve never tried that before.

And, there are more good news: she actually rents the studio for a very reasonable sum and told me the owner was interested to rent out more of the space, so I´m going to meet him on thursday to discuss the possibilities. My plan is to gather four or five artists/crafters and use some of the space in the warehouse as a combined studio and shop. By sharing the rent we can keep the costs low, which is important, because Ebeltoft is heaving with tourists from June to September - but the rest of the year it´s more or less dead, so you have to earn your money during the summermonths.

Well, as you can see - lots of things going on at the moment - I´ll keep you informed ;-)

Oh - about the peacocks - they actually belong to a farm outside our village, the people haven´t had them long and obviously the peacocks decided that it was time to take a closer look at the surroundings ;-).

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all the exciting things that are happening! And yes, your Mom looks wonderful, and bless her for doing all of that ironing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten
    Your Mum looks lovely and that is a perfect picture of you both.
    I wish you all the luck in the world with all the new and exciting events coming up. I look forward to reading all about them. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of your dish of Pearls :0 )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look like a wonderful tour! Great pictures and lots of take home goodies! :) What a cool blog you have! Hugs,
    Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger Gypsy Flea Market said...

    Hello! I love what you are doing with your vintage slips, they have such a "modern/fresh" look to them. Nice work!

    I have so many slips to work on that have some really cool lace details...but they need some mending, and I don't like to do the sewing part...the most fun part for me is the "coloring" and embellishing ... not to mention the "hunt" for them!

    I also have a stash of half slips to experiment with. I wasn't sure if customers would like those, but now I am thinking they may be an easier sale because they are easier to fit. Have you ever done half slips, if so did you have any luck with them?

    I'll be back when I have time to read more of your blog...I enjoyed what I've seen so far! Have the peacocks remained on your property? Beautiful!

    xo
    Jill @ Gypsy Flea Market

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kirsten!
    So nice to hear from you :) My mother mentioned that you two had been in touch--she said that you were very sweet too and that she enjoyed writing to you.

    I love the slips that you made--so pretty!

    But I am sorry to hear about the warehouse store front falling through--and how crummy that other artists were trying to block you from renting it :( How goes the search for the car as well? I hope something perfect turns up for you in both situations...

    Have a lovely rest of your weekend and keep in touch!
    Hugs,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just wanted to say thanks for following my blog...I LOVED the pics of the brocante...I sure wished that I could have gone with you. Looks like a lot of hidden treasures to be found! Thanks again and have a great Monday!

    -Kennesha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kirsten, I tagged you on my blog but you don't have to take any notice if you don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liebe Kirsten,
    Deinen Blog habe ich schon öfters besucht, aber noch nie einen Kommentar hinterlassen, was ich hiermit nachhole. Du machst so zarte Sachen in so tollen Farben, die genau meinen Geschmack treffen. Mach weiter so! :-)
    Liebe Grüße von Iris

    ReplyDelete